|AssessmentStudents will be assessed on their ability to participate in and organize a collaborative process. The process should include working in a cooperative learning experience within the group/community through interviews and research and should show evidence of networking. The students will also be assessed on their performance or presentation events; problem-solving abilities; inquiry/interviews/questioning ability; writing; and use of technology and other tools, computers, and manipulatives.
The instructor will conduct continuous progress assessment as it relates to cooperative group work, performance events and presentations, problem solving, inquiry, interviews, questioning, use of technology and tools, computer learning, distance learning, manipulatives, and the writing process.
Additional Hints for the Teacher
- The project’s final writing piece could serve as a portfolio piece.
- Observers may discern the level of the student’s social interaction and ability to work as a group member by monitoring the progress of the teams. Surveys of the students themselves requesting informational feedback also will guide teachers in gathering information on the interaction among the group members.
- Observation and daily note taking will enable the teacher to evaluate differentiated styles of learning demonstrated by students. For instance, one student may not be proficient in research on the Internet, but may be highly effective at conducting community research and interviewing. Observe styles of learning and evaluate accordingly.
- Some students may be highly focused and work quietly on their own, while others may organize and synthesize. Allowing the group to recognize the strengths of its members will assist in the group problem-solving process.
- Each presentation may be evaluated separately and again as a combined group project.
- As students debate and discuss, analytical skills and creative and critical thinking skills may be assessed.
- Maintaining daily progress records throughout the process will be helpful.