Section 1: From Neutrality to War
Terms/People to know: militarism, Francis Ferdinand, William II, casualty, U-boat, Lusitania
- Why did a stalemate develop on the Western front?
- Why did some Americans not want to enter the war?
- Why did the US decide the enter the war and fight on the side of the Allies?
Section 2: The Home Front
Terms/People to know: Selective Service Act, Bernard Baruch, CPI, George Creel, conscientious objector, Espionage Act, Great Migration
- In what ways did America support the war?
- How did some men evade the draft?
- How do you think returning soldiers reacted to changes at home when the war ended?
Section 3: Wilson, War, and Peace
Terms/People to know: convoy, Fourteen Points, self-determination, League of Nations, Henry Cabot Lodge, reparations, “irreconcilables”, “reservationists”
- Describe America’s contributions to the Allied war effort.
- What was the League of Nations?
- Why did the US Senate ultimately reject the peace treaty and the League of Nations?
Section 4: Effects of the War
Terms/People to know: influenza, inflation, Red Scare, Palmer Raids, Nicola Sacco, Bartolomeo Vanzetti, Warren G, Harding
- How did the influenza pandemic make the transition from war to peace more difficult?
- Why did Warren Harding win the presidential election?
- How did Americans both reject and embrace the new global influence of the US?