The Coming of War (1931-1942)
Section 1: Dictators and Wars
People/Terms to know: totalitarianism, Joseph Stalin, Benito Mussolini, Adolf Hitler, anti-Semitic, Anschluss
- How did World War One contribute to the rise of dictators in Europe?
- How did the policy of appeasement encourage aggression?
- Why did Hitler defy the League of Nations?
Section 2: From Isolation to Involvement
People/Terms to know: blitzkrieg, Axis Powers, Allies, Winston Churchill, Neutrality Act of 1939, Tripartite Pact, Lend-Lease Act
- Describe the course of World War II in Europe until the end of 1940.
- Why did the United States give more and more help to the Allies?
- Why was blitzkrieg such a devastating form of warfare?
Section 3: America Enters the War
People/Terms to know: Hideki Tojo, Pearl Harbor, WAC, Douglas MacArthur, Bataan Death March, Battle of Coral Sea
- Was the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor a success or failure from the Japanese point of view? Explain.
- What role do you think the productive capacity of the United States played in World War II?
- What was the root of the conflict between the United States and Japan?